Tuesday, March 11, 2014

We used to smoke and now we have a houseful of oxygen tanks. Not fun!



These are portable tanks that last maybe 6 hours.

I was a smoker for approximately 38 years and then in February of 2000 I quit cold turkey simply because I didn’t want to smoke anymore.  It was a disgusting habit that needed to end and so I ended it and never looked back!  With the right frame of mind, anyone can quit and all they have to do is not to want it anymore!  Period!

Smokers know the perils of smoking but once they get hooked, granted, it is not easy to give it up especially if you say things like, ‘this is not easy to give up’.  We are all capable of convincing ourselves of just about anything so wouldn't it be better to commit to saying that you don’t want to smoke anymore as in nope, no thanks, I’ve had enough – time to move on to something else!

I have always liked the smell of a cigarette being lit with a match and that might be the reason I started.  Too bad I didn't just light matches to sniff!  We all have our lame excuses but I certainly didn’t think I was cool because I smoked and I didn’t flaunt my habit in front of anyone.  I smoked because I wanted to and for no other reason.  I was actually the only one in my group of girlfriends who did smoke although another started up years later.  So, I smoked because I wanted to and I stopped smoking because I wanted to.  It was as simple as that. 

Back in the day when I took up the habit, the public wasn’t that informed about what cigarettes could do to their health and by the time we learned all the facts, we’d been puffing away for years and with excuses of why we couldn’t quit.  My son used to tell us that he was never going to smoke but then he started too.   Luckily he was able to stop before too many years but he still puffs on those electric cigarettes a few times a day while he’s driving around from site to site on his job.  The only good thing is he doesn’t smell like cigarette smoke anymore!


    This is the tank for sleeping.  It runs all night and makes oxygen out of the air.

My sister who has asthma and chronic bronchitis was also a smoker and even though she quit a long time ago, she contracted COPD, aka Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.  Only 30% of her lungs are left for breathing.  She also has Emphysema and is on oxygen 24/7.  I’ve taken care of her for quite a few years and I continue to do so.  Not only can she not breathe well, but she also coughs a lot, has vision problems and possibly Fibromyalgia. 


     This is a nebulizer for breathing treatments of Albuterol.

Those commercials on television that show former smokers wearing voice boxes to speak or some have lost their legs is really disturbing….and yet people continue to smoke.  All I can say is no one is immune to the end results which could mean a life of breathing pills and nebulizer treatments every four hours as well as the use of an oxygen tank day and night.  As a smoker, I was one of the lucky ones not to develop any problems but the odds aren’t always so great which is something smokers need to think about.  


7 comments:

  1. YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD TRISH.
    IT WAS TOO LATE FOR ME WHEN I QUIT AND NOW I HAVE EVERYTHING YOU MENTIONED EXCEPT FOR LOSS OF THROAT & LEGS. AND I AM MISERABLE ALL THE TIME TRYING TO TAKE A BREATH.
    I SINCERELY HOPE EVERYONE WHO READS THIS WILL GET THE MESSAGE & PASS IT ON!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to read that you are suffering and I know how miserable you are because my sister is the same. She scares me so much when she can't catch her breath and she chokes very easily. I have had quite a few readers of this particular blog and hopefully like you said, they will share my message with others. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD POST TRISH. I FINALLY QUIT AFTER 50 YEARS OF SMOKING WHEN THE DR. SAID I MIGHT LOSE MY LEG. I HAD A MOTHER THAT I HAD TO TAKE CARE OF SO I QUIT.THIS NEEDS TO GET OUT TO THE PUBLIC.MW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that legs could be lost from smoking until I saw those ads on TV. I am so glad that I quit and I'm happy to know that you did too. I'm sure you made your mom happy!

      Delete
    2. she quit to. and died of lung cancer at the age of 91.mw

      Delete
  4. ALSO SMOKERS DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEIR SMOKING DOES TO OTHERS.
    RE: A BABY OR A YOUNG CHILD'S LUNGS CAN BE DAMAGED FOR LIFE BECAUSE OF YOUR SECOND HAND SMOKE. THINK OF IT "HOW MUCH SMOKE CAN THOSE TINY LUNGS POSSIBLY HOLD"
    RE: HOUSEHOLD SPRAYS AND CLEANING CHEMICALS, SMOKE AND FOOD SMELLS FROM COOKING. SOMETHING MIGHT MAKE YOU SAY, "BOY, THAT SMELLS GOOD BUT TO ME & MANY OTHERS IT MIGHT JUST START A COUGHING SIEZURE. EVERY VIOLENT COUGIN SPELL HELPS TO WEAKEN YOUR HEART. SOME WILL SAY "IT WILL GO AWAY" BUT THEY DON'T REALIZE IT WON'T GO AWAY ONCE IT'S IN YOUR LUNGS!
    RE: I'M IN MY 80'S NOW AND MY LUNGS ARE ALL BLACK!! "EXCEPT" FOR ABOUT A 2 x 2 INCH PATCH IN MY LEFT ONE AND AN EVEN SMALLER ONE IN MY RIGHT LUNG, EVERYTHING ELSE IS SOLID " BLACK".
    I AM ON A DOZEN MEDS, SEVERAL INHALERS, OXYGEN 24/7 & A NEBULIZER MACHINE TO BREATHE & GET MEDS INTO ME TO HELP ME BREATHE EVERY 4 HOURS DAY & NIGHT. EVEN WITH ALL THAT, I ONLY HAVE A 28% LUNG CAPACITY.
    FINAL MESSAGE - YOUR LUNGS WILL NEVER HEAL COMPLETELY, ONCE THEY ARE BLACK THAT'S HOW THEY WILL STAY.
    SO ALL YOU SMOKERS PLEASE THINK OF OTHERS BEFORE YOU LIGHT UP.
    AND THANKS TRISH FOR AFFORDING ME A SPOT TO GET ON MY GRANDSTAND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry to read about your lungs which are as bad as my sister's if not worse. Quite often I think back on those days I used to smoke and I really feel terrible about the second hand smoke I subjected innocent people to, but we didn't know about that years ago. Everyone should by now and yet some of them just don't care - they light up right outside entrance doors to stores, etc. Thanks for sharing your message and I really do sympathize with you. I have no use for smokers who continue to invade the air space of other when by now they should know the dangers involved. To not care is unforgivable.

      Delete