Friday, March 21, 2014

Martha Stewart Living Magazine, April 2014 issue has lots of good things!

I especially like the cover with the Holland lop bunny amidst the purple primroses and grape hyacinths.  It’s a beautiful color scheme with complementary colors in the lettering as well as in the stripes on the eggs, but their photography is always fabulous.

The Food Gathering section has even more attractive photos and the ‘What’s For Dinner’ array stopped me in my tracks.  I must make the One-Pan Orecchiette with Chickpeas and Olives and the ‘Butter-lettuce Salad with Egg and Potatoes looks mighty fine also.  A few pages over you’ll find a colorful dish of Yogurt with Kiwifruit and Macadamias along with instructions on ripening and peeling them.  I appreciate those little extras for the mere fact that I am not familiar with all fruits, or vegetables for that matter.  I remember the first time I opened up a pomegranate and didn’t know how to eat it and I also had no idea what a jicama was.  For those who don’t know, it’s a Mexican yam or Mexican turnip aka a tuber, which among other things can be julienned and eaten in a salad.  I have yet to taste one but it’s on my list of things to try. 

There is plenty of gardening in this issue which is something I enjoy.  Martha’s article is about succulents which I think are very interesting plants if only I could remember half of their names.  Regardless, I would buy them anyway, which I have done and they are thriving outside in my front yard and the back yard.  I buy mine at Costco but most of their plants don’t come with names except to label them as tropicals or garden varieties.  The names are not important to me anyway because I would never remember them.  Like Martha, I will just admire their varied shapes and personalities.

     Here’s one of mine that bloomed one day.

If you like gardening, you must have a look at Sense & Spontaneity, which is the title of the article on Page Dickey who has a romantic garden in rural New York.  It’s a gardener’s dream that I wish I could see in person.  There is a two-page spread of a bird’s eye view of the garden that would look so beautiful framed.  I envy anyone with the stamina and know-how to create and maintain such a masterpiece.

Have you started your spring cleaning?  I have and hopefully I’ll be done by autumn.  Hey, is cleaning ever really done?

I wanted to try this product from Home Depot on my family room floor…

…and I think it looks great, shine-wise anyway.   I am totally sick of the pattern and want tile but until that day comes, I must take care of what I have.


Anyway, after you have finished with drooling over all the desserts in the Sweet as Spring section on page 106 such as a Coconut Crunch Cake or a Flourless Chocolate Walnut Torte, and I mean oozing with melted chocolate over the top, then it’s time to get down to Spring Cleaning.  There are many pages from 112 forward of tips to help you out and wasn’t it nice of the editors of MSL to treat you to dessert before handing you a squeegee to get started on your windows!  Yes, that was my feeble attempt at humor!  

Well, I’m off to make my shopping list for One-Pan Orecchiette with Chickpeas and Olives and maybe I’ll add some chocolate to the list also!  Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I flipped through the magazine at the grocery store newsstand, I had to pull together great mental strength to not buy it. It was really painful to do but I did it. So far, I have resisted in buying 2 consecutive issues of the MSL from the newsstand. It's absolutely tough on me because having to ween off an addiction is extremely difficult. I am trying to save every dime and dollar because my upcoming move has been cash straining on us. I used to just grab the magazine during checkout, for as long as I have known about Martha Stewart.

    BTW, your floor looks sparkling clean, I will definitely try that cleaning product for my new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to get offline but always check my blog first and saw your comment. Didn't you say you just got a Costco card? They sell Martha's magazine cheaper than in the stores if your store happens to sell them. I often buy an extra and then get one in the mail, I have to have my monthly issue no matter what - have been a subscriber since 2000 but also bought earlier issues on Ebay. I know what it's like to have to save money though - I'm always cutting corners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED YOUR PLANT AND THE BUNNY & BASKET ON MAGAZINE COVER BUT I WOULD NEVER WASTE MY MONEY ON THE MAGAZINE. MARTHA STEWART IS NOT ONE OF MY FAVORITE PEOPLE SO THAT IS ONE PROFIT SHE WILL NOT MAKE OFF ME, NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT MIGHT BE.
    BUT HER WORKERS DO A NICE JOB,
    YOUR FLOOR DOES SHINE NICE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we agree on the cover and it is possible that Martha is not a favorite person of a lot of people just like a lot of people might not favor me or maybe even you. I personally don't think I have ever not bought something because I didn't like a certain person but we’re all different. It would be a boring world if we did everything the same. Whatever you think of Ms. Stewart, FYI the reason her workers ‘do a nice job’ is because she has taught them well and her editors and directors are also on the same page. A person with that much devotion from her employees must be doing something right. I’ve seen and read about the same ones over and over again for the last 14 years and they all appear to be happy campers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of other reports from her employees & others saying she is a tyrant and doesn't do any of the work, just the talk & complaining. I sense that you must be a diehard fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone has to be a diehard fan to know when someone has worked hard to get where they are today and I also don't know whether Martha is a tyrant or not but I wouldn't care if she was. I heard Bill Gates is a tyrant and I doubt whether he works anymore after making millions and being able to hire people to work for him while he does other things for the company...just like Martha, or Oprah, or Rachael Ray, etc. so I don't see any problem with a female CEO running her company the same as what a male CEO might. Do you? People who are perfectionists are often labeled as tyrants because they want things done the right way and not just any old way. I know because I'm one of those people myself. I make sure things get done right the first time around even if I have to do them myself. I’m not putting my name on someone else’s sloppy work!

      Delete